[ RadSafe ] Aftermath of Fukishima - Thousands of Deaths Preventable by H...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 19:57:10 CDT 2012

Hey Jerry Cohen/Radsafe,

      I like your post.  Your point about New  Madrid, Missouri is quite
interesting.
1812 ---  3 earthquakes were in the vicinity of magnitude 8.0.   The New
Madrid events weren't really
capable of generating any tsunamis.  I wonder a bit what would happen  if a
New Madrid event would
happen now in Missouri.  How many nuclear plants are within 500 miles  of
New Madrid???
I don't expect such an event will happen in the next 100 years.   According
to Otto Nuttli of St. Louis U.
(see the earthquake book by James J. Nance) a large earthquake in New
Madrid will have pretty
severe effects for much of the Eastern USA coast and Missouri.   Eastern
USA rocks/geology would
transmit seismic energy rather well--- without much attenuation.   Western
USA rocks/geology
are more deformed and would attenuate seismic energy more greatly.

     The Fukushima earthquake was in the 9.0 magnitude  range.  The tsunami
did happen.
The events in Japan and Indonesia (3 or so quakes in the vicinity of 9.0
magnitude in the last 20 years)
did produce tsunamis.  These 9.0 earthquakes rival the biggest  earthquakes
ever to happen
in the world.  More such earthquakes could occur in Japan, and not  just
100 years from now.
Nuclear power does not belong on Japan's coastlines.

     Maybe the USGS and/or US NRC should study the  effect of an 8.0
earthquake in New Madrid
on Eastern/Central USA Nuclear Reactors.  It would be a good  investment.

    Maybe they (ITER, Princeton, and so on) will get Fusion  working soon
(would you bet on that,
Jerry???) and then we wouldn't have to worry so much about reactors and
earthquakes.  I suspect the current group of USA reactors will continue to
provide power for the next 20 years or so.

    Take Care...   Joe Preisig

In a message dated 10/16/2012 6:01:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,