[ RadSafe ] Scrubs, contamination and medical infections

Mon Apr 29 11:54:46 CDT 2013

An interesting article, though unless they are working from a different
set of physical laws than I use, x-ray and gamma are attenuated by
putting more atoms in their way, either by greater thickness or greater
density (acknowledging some atoms are better at absorbing some energies,
but usually that doesn't help much with general purpose shielding).  I
would assume that the shielding provided by tungsten impregnated cloth
is dependent on the density of the cloth, an hence its weight.  At a
guess, the more shielding the clothing provides, the heavier, stiffer,
and probably hotter it is.

Ironically, I don't think clothing with built-in shielding would
eliminate the need for anti-Cs, as it is likely to be VERY expensive,
and you wouldn't want to contaminate it.

Personally, I think the big breakthrough for working in a contaminated
environment will be in robotics and tele-presence.  The people who get
that working well will make more money than they can carry.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff Terry
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 9:07 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Scrubs, contamination and medical infections

Hi Mike,

In my experience, scrubs and anti-Cs are cheap swapable clothes.

Anti-Cs that I have used do not provide any protection from gamma
radiation and only work to keep contamination off of you. That is a fine
purpose.

That may change as a company has figured out how to add Tungsten.

See
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/29/time-to-get-rid-of-those-ugly-radi
ation-suits-teijin-to-unveil-radiation-proof-fabric/

If you want to discuss to purpose of anti-Cs and scrubs in Radiation
Protection, have at it.

However, the poster discussed germ control and scrubs.

See: "The whole hospital scrubs wearing ritual is kind of charade to
make everyone feel safe from the germs."

That is a topic for some other mailing list.

Jeff