[ RadSafe ] Curiosity query

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Mon Aug 5 13:44:21 CDT 2013

A useful unclassified description can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

The material was HEU, (> 90% U-235) which was never irradiated in a reactor
and thus had lower external radiation fields than normal uranium.  Aside
from welding the transport case onto the deck of the USS Indianapolis,
there was no need for special handling.

--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
notify Shonka Research Associates, Inc. at (770) 509-7606 and permanently
delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.