[ RadSafe ] Neutron Source Safety

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 12:46:40 CDT 2013

Dear Lynn B. Dobbs,

     The first thing you need to do is get a copy of  Cember's Health
Physics book and read the relevant
sections.  Also refer to the Radiation Health Handbook, the old  version,
the Schlein version or whatever
is relevant now.  See also Accelerator Health Physics by Patterson and
Thomas, Kaplan's Nuclear Physics, Segre's Nuclear Physics book etc.  I  think
NCRP-51 will also help, and the updated version of NCRP-51.

     This isn't a big neutron source.  If you have  other neutron sources
at the University, you may see they are kept in a bucket  of solid parafin,
with a hole drilled down the middle.  You put the neutron  source in the hole
in the middle and then there should be a parafin  (cylindrical) cap you put
over the source in the hole.  You can then store  the neutron source with
your other radiation sources, which are hopefully locked  away somewhere.  If
you don't have one of these parafin buckets around,  someone in your
machine shop should be able to make one fairly easily.   Don't know if they are
available for sale somewhere.

     Neutron activation should not be a problem.   If you don't already
have one, then the university needs to buy you some sort of  neutron detector,
an Anderson-Braun detector (a Snoopy???), a remball or  whatever you can
afford.  Ludlum makes some neutron detectors.   Google   neutron and detector
on the internet.
The lab/persons using the neutron detector will need a neutron personnel
dosimeter --- see Mirion's website, or Landauer or whoever.  The lab doing
the neutron work might need a neutron detector also.
See Knoll's book on instrumentation to learn about detectors.  That  should
pretty much cover it, pretty much.

     What are they doing with that neutron  source???

Joe Preisig

In a message dated 3/22/2013 1:22:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,