[ RadSafe ] What is the typical warranty or life expectancy of a leaded enclosure?

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 16:27:49 CDT 2013

Hi Ted,
It would depend mainly on the construction, particuarly seams or joints and door "seals". Bulk lead itself won't degrade, so unless they are using some kind novel material that is not an issue. Non-moving seams and joints should also have a very long life if they were OK on assembly and haven't been disturbed.
The biggest issue I can see is gaps opening up in doors due to wear in hinges and latches or sections of complex labyrinth arrangements being displaced. So they need to look at their mechanical design durability and base the warranty on that. A good engineer should be able to make a design that is tolerant of hinge wear and fail-safe or non-critical in terms of "seals". I'd have thought a hinge breaking and a lead filled door falling on someone is actually a bigger risk, at least you can meaure increased leakage :-)

Hope this helps,
Robert Atkinson CEng MRAeS.