[ RadSafe ] Fwd: [New post] Danger of nuclear fuel storage at Columbia Generating Station

Tue Dec 9 11:12:49 CST 2014

Hi, Mattias.

An interim storage pool would be a good solution at many NPPs in the United States (and elsewhere, probably).  At CGS one could build an underground storage pool such that in the case of loos of all power, ground water could gravity flow into the pool to balance evaporation.  Wouldn't even be hard to design.  The cost of the structure would probably be less than the cost of rearranging spent fuel in the current pool, if spread over the expected life of the reactor (barring activist achieving their dreams).

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Olsson Mattias :MSO
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 2:50 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Fwd: [New post] Danger of nuclear fuel storage at Columbia Generating Station

It seems like a good idea to me too to remove spent fuel from the storage pool above the reactor. It is a rather fragile part of a BWR plant after all. In Sweden the once-through principle for use of nuclear fuel has been rather hegemonic for decades, not least for political reasons. So there is an interim storage solution that has been around for some time. Web page and presentation material here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.skb.se/Templates/Standard____25480.aspx

http://www.skb.se/upload/publications/pdf/ClabEng.8.3.pdf

After having spent time in that pool system the fuel is meant to go on to a not yet built geological repository.

All the best,
Mattias Olsson, Sweden