[ RadSafe ] Disturbing reports on Fukushima

Mon Mar 17 12:32:36 CDT 2014

Hi, Franz.

There are some very real problems concerning labor at Fukushima.  There are a number of reports that organized crime has infiltrated the system for supplying laborers, and that many of the workers are receiving only a fraction of what they are supposed to be paid.  There are reports that necessary training, including safety training, is not being done, and the documentation is being faked.  Even people cleaning streets and sewers deserve to be trained on how to run their equipment (which is more sophisticated than a broom and shovel) efficiently and safely.  In an industrial environment with radioactive material thrown in, that training is even more important.

I agree that most of the work at Fukushima isn't nuclear engineering; it is more like plumbing.  On the other hand, I am a nuclear engineer, and when I need plumbing done, I hire a plumber, who I expect has had training that I haven't, so he can do the job faster and better than I can.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 9:12 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Disturbing reports on Fukushima

Dear Susan,

Forgive my sarkastic comment, but the message does not deserve anything else.....

We in the "old world" , copyright of a certain secretary of defense - anybody remembers his name? I do not.- we hire for cleaning of streets, waste channels, refuse, garbage, people with no less than a PhD. So it should be appropriate to hire persons of the same qualification for the Fukushima cleanup!

Sarkasm finished - but my belief that some journalists are still candidates for psychiatric treatment for paranoia is still valid.

Franz

S L Gawarecki