[ RadSafe ] OT: Global Warming

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Tue May 20 09:16:18 CDT 2014

I know there's data for a short period of time. But even 30 years' worth of data isn't going to answer questions that play out over centuries or millennia or longer.

At the moment the Earth appears to be warming - which it has been doing more or less for about 10,000 years since the last glacial retreat - but the last couple of million years have been abnormally cold from the viewpoint of the history of the earth. So if the Earth is warmer (or colder) this year than it was last year can we make any claims about what that means for a century or two from now? For that matter, if the last decade - or two or three decades - has been warmer (or colder) than the previous ones can we make any predictions about long-term climate change? Not really, because we're not sure if we're stuck in a random (and expected) fluctuation in climate or if it portends a longer-term trend.  Thirty years of data - no matter how high-quality - simply isn't enough to make any firm predictions.

As one example - the Little Ice Age last a few centuries. Were that to happen today we'd be desperately pumping CO2 into the atmosphere to try to prevent glaciers from bulldozing New York and Chicago. But it turned out to be a temporary fluctuation in earth's temperature. Similarly, the Medieval Warm Period lasted for over 300 years - we'd have called this a period of global warming - ironically ending with the Little Ice Age. Again - 30 years of the highest-quality data during either of these periods would have given us a completely misleading view of the climate. And thirty years of high-quality data today cannot tell us if we are inside of a temporary fluctuation (like either of these two periods) or experiencing a long-term (millennia or longer) trend in temperature.

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109
New York, NY 10038