[ RadSafe ] Agreeing with Franz on "dogma"

Thu Aug 20 12:08:02 CDT 2015

While as a Heath Physicist I am a mere stripling of 25 years, I view my role a little differently, perhaps because I deal more with the general public (as the person running our radon program, and working in our environmental section) than I do radiation workers.  I spend a fair amount of time trying to help people understand relative risk, so they can make informed choices.  As an example, in the Fukushima aftermath I spent a fair amount of time convincing people that fleeing Seattle for places like Denver or Spokane was not decreasing their risk, or that their constant state of agitation was probably a greater health risk than any radiation exposure they would ever receive.

As others have said, I don't have negative feelings towards the word "dogma", and I believe that it actually describes LNT fairly well, at least in the regulatory and activist communities.  I don't, however, believe that simply because something is dogma that is should be exempt from questioning, and I think questioning LNT is very worthwhile.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Sander Perle
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:50 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Agreeing with Franz on "dogma"

As a Health Physicist for 44 years, our role is to ensure a safe radiation environment work place, not just at high dose/dose rates, but at any dose/dose rate. This includes ensuring that the facility, NPP, University or Medical Institution meets all applicable regulations, license conditions, public dose, etc.

Regards,

Sandy
Sent from my iPhone