[ RadSafe ] Seeking Uranium Supplier

Evgeny Taskaev Evgeny.Taskaev at ezag.com
Thu Mar 3 09:47:12 CST 2016

Jessica,
It is about your license, not about the supplier
October 2013
Notice of regulatory change: NRC10CFR40 Source Material
On 27 August, 2013 new regulations regarding possession and distribution of Source Material (natural uranium, depleted uranium, and thorium) will go into effect. Specifically, for Eckert & Ziegler Isotope Products (EZIP) customers, the affected regulation is 10CFR § 40.22 Small quantities of source material. The rule modifies the existing possession and use requirements of the general license for small quantities of source material to better align the requirements with current health and safety standards.
There are two primary changes for possession of Source Material under the § 40.22 Small Quantities general license that might disrupt your purchase from EZIP:
1) The revised general license is limited to thorium and uranium in their natural isotopic concentrations and depleted uranium. This differs from the previous § 40.22, which allowed possession of any naturally occurring isotopes of uranium and thorium in any isotopic concentration.
a. This means that possession of separated thorium isotopes, e.g. Th-228, Th-230 will need to be specifically licensed.
2) Under the revised § 40.22, the general licensee is limited to possession of less than 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) of uranium and thorium at any one time and 7 kg (15.4 lb) per calendar year for all uranium and thorium that is in a dispersible form or has been processed by the general licensee.
a. The limits for solid, non-dispersible source material are 7 kg (15.4 lb) total uranium and thorium at any one time - this limit must include any inventory of dispersible source material. The general licensee is limited to the receipt of no more than 70 kg (154 lb) of solid, non-dispersible uranium and thorium per calendar year (once again, including the inventory of dispersible source material).
The majority of changes in 10CFR40 involve licensing the initial distribution of source material. One of the requirements of the distribution license is that EZIP submit reports on any general licensee that purchases more than 50 grams of source material during a single calendar quarter. This report would contain the name and address of the general licensee to whom source material was distributed; a responsible agent, by name and/or position and phone number, of the general licensee to whom the material was sent; and the type, physical form, and quantity of source material transferred.
For complete details on the Source Material regulation changes, go to
http://www.regulations.gov
search for Docket ID NRC-2009-0084.
Regards,
Evgeny Taskaev