Re: Handling DU

          I can't say I know much about that issue...

          My response was to a question of handling large masses of uranium
          such as shields, counterweights and the like.

          I have never seen or heard of any publications which discuss
          chemical toxicity of insoluble material in the lung.  The issues
          around the retention of class Y compounds in the lung and the
          related dosimetery is what I have experienced.  I have had several
          sips of water from the Ken Skrable fire hydrant of internal
          dosimetery however I don't claim to be knowledgeable enough in
          this area to comment much further.

          You do bring up an interesting point.  I have been watching the
          issue of the gulf war vets with DU fragments imbeded in them and
          their constant positive urine bioassay measurements and the
          concerns over the local chemical and radiological conditions
          around the wound site of the imbeded DU.

          The VA has been attempting to evaluate this and I'm not sure there
          have been any conclusions reached or knowledge gained.  One would
          typically consider a solid piece of DU an insoluble form of DU
          however, once imbeded into tissue apparently there is a slow
          breakdown into a form which is solublized and consistently seen in
          urine at levels not typical of a class Y exposure scenario.