Enhanced immune response - Reduces cancer

Hit by the radsafe "from" bug :-)

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net
========================

Bill,

Disingenuous. The issue was whether homeo's use hormesis research to
support homeopathy, not the reverse. They do. Hormesis is real.
(Hormesis is a biological function, not limited to radiation.)

Why do you not consider that the immune response indicates reduction
of cancer? Almost weekly there are medical research reports of using
immune system stimulation to treat cancer. (LDR is not the only
stimulator of immune response - see the chemical hormesis and
pharmocology literature.)

How many times do you have to get refs on LDR/cancer?

Getting more specific to just a couple of examples, see, from Dr. Pollycove:

"Low-dose stimulation of the immune system may not only prevent cancer
by increasing removal of pre-malignant or malignant cells with
persistent DNA damage, but may also destroy gross cancer growths with
metastases (Figure 17) [ref] 35.
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Figures/Docs/MP98_fig17.gif

Recently Sakamoto, et al at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan have
reported successfully treatment of non-Hodgkins lymphoma with total or
half body low-dose radiation35. Half body irradiation (HBI) of the rib
cage area (thorax from xyphoid process to suprasternal notch) was as
effective as whole body irradiation (TBI). Fractionated doses of 10
cGy 3x/week or 15 cGy 2x/week were given for 5 weeks for a cumulative
dose of 150 cGy (Figure 18).
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Figures/Docs/MP98_fig18.gif

In some patients tumors completely outside the HBI field disappeared
after HBI alone (Figure 19) 36.
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Figures/Docs/MP98_fig19.gif

Analysis of peripheral lymphocytes demonstrated immune system
stimulation. The 10 year survival of patients receiving only local
high-dose radiotherapy and chemotherapy is 50% compared to 84% 9 year
survival of patients (no deaths after 3.7 years) receiving additional
low dose TBI or HBI. (P<0.05, Figure 20)."
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Figures/Docs/MP98_Fig20.gif

Refs:

35. Sakamoto K, Myogin M. Hosoi Y, Ogawa Y, Nemoto K, Takai Y, Kakuto
Y, Yamada S, Watabe M. Fundamental and clinical studies on cancer
control with total or upper half body irradiation. J. Jpn. Soc. Ther.
Radiol. Oncol. 9:161-175 (1997).

36. Takai Y, Yamada S., Nemoto K, Ogawa Y, Kakutou Y, Hosi A, Sakamoto
K. Anti-tumor effect of low dose total (or half) body irradiation and
changes in the functional subset of peripheral blood lymphocytes in
non-Hodgkins lymphoma patients after TBI (HBI). In: Low Dose
Irradiation and Biological Defense Mechanisms (Sugahara T, Sagan LA,
Aoyama T, eds). Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Science
Publishers, 1992: 113-116.

See also:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/1-2/3/3/12334ta91.html
Takai, Y., Ogawa, Y. Nemoto, K., Yamada, S. and Sakamoto, K. (1991)
Direct anti-tumor effect of low dose total (or half) body irradiation
and changes of the functional subset of peripheral blood lymphocytes
in non-Hodgkinís lymphoma patients after TBI (HBI), J. Jpn. Soc. Ther.
Radiol. Oncol. 3: pp9-18.

>From the abstract, Dr. E.I. Azzam and colleagues report (1996) that:
"A single exposure of quiescent C3H 10T1/2 cells to a dose of 0.1, 1.0
or 10 cGy followed by a 24-h incubation reduced the risk of neoplastic
transformation from the spontaneous level to a rate three- to
four-fold below that level. If similar processes are induced in human
cells, a single low dose at background or occupational exposure levels
may reduce rather than increase cancer risk, a conclusion inconsistent
with the linear no-threshold model of cancer risk from radiation."

REF: Azzam, E.I., de Toledo, S.M., Raaphorst, G.P. and Mitchel, R.E.J.
(1996) Low-Dose Ionizing Radiation Decreases the Frequency of
Neoplastic Transformation to a Level below the Spontaneous Rate in C3H
10T1/2 Cells, Radiat. Res. 146, p369.
If you don't believe me, see:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=8927708&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

Drs. Yoshio Hosoi and Kiyohiko Sakamoto of the Tohoku University
School of Medicine discuss (1997) TBI effects on metastasis: "Low dose
total body irradiation (TBI) (was shown to) suppress metastasis using
both artificial and spontaneous lung metastasis in WHT/Ht mice...
Injection of tumor cells irradiated with 10-50 cGy in vitro showed no
difference from the control value, which indicated that the
suppressive effect of the low dose TBI was based on the radiation
effect on mice but not on tumor cells."

Dr. U. Yamamoto of the Faculty of Life Science at the Yasuda Women
College in Hiroshima and Dr. T. Seyama of the Radiation Effect
Research Foundation, Hiroshima discuss (1997) HTO ingestion in mice:
"(By) continuous oral administration of HTO on mice weight-selected
(24 ± 1 g) at 10 weeks, the total tumour frequency was decreased from
80% to 50% at about 3.6 mGy/day. The linear line crossed to the base
line at 12 mGy/day which is a threshold dose-rate (essential threshold
dose-rate). However, this linear line has a tailing (which) becomes
linear in normal scale. This linear line crosses to the base line at 9
mGy/day which is another threshold dose-rate (tail threshold
dose-rate). The relationship between life-shortening and dose-rate is
also linear with a tail in semi-log scale. Two mGy/day was found to be
the essential threshold dose-rate and 0.2 mGy/day the practical tail
threshold dose-rate. There exists two types of threshold dose-rates,
essential and practical, not only in the frequency of thymic lymphoma
but also in the life-shortening. In the case of gamma-irradiation, a
similar pattern resulted when the data presented by Lorenz et al
(1954) and modified by Failla and McClement (1957) and those presented
by Grahn et al (1969) and averaged by NCRP (1980) were plotted, the
essential and the practical threshold dose-rates being 20 mGy/day and
2 mGy/day. It is clear that the effect of 3-H beta-rays is greater
than that of gamma-rays.
        "The linear no-threshold theory has been... questioned and the
need emphasized for studies of radiation risk at low exposures. If
there is a threshold, it would allay the fear of the public and save
billions of dollars spent in unnecessary remediation of low level
waste sites. From this point of view, the existence of the threshold
dose-rate result in the present study would be important evidence."

All the refs in our pages are at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/references98.html

Or, you can go to PubMed, e.g.:
Int J Radiat Biol 1998 May;73(5):535-41
Oral administration of tritiated water (HTO) in mouse. III: Low
dose-rate irradiation and
threshold dose-rate for radiation risk.
Yamamoto O, Seyama T, Itoh H, Fujimoto N
Faculty of Life Science, Yasuda Women College, Hiroshima, Japan.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9652811&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

Also at PubMed see:

J Radiat Res (Tokyo) 1997 Dec;38(4):233-40
Single dose radiocurability of four murine solid tumors and a
predictive assay for the
curability in situ.
Takai Y, Hosoi Y, Sakamoto K, Okada S
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Tohoku University,
Sendai, Japan.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9558826&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

Radiat Oncol Investig 1997;5(6):283-8
Effect of combination treatment of 15 cGy total body irradiation and
OK-432 on spontaneous
lung metastasis and mitogenic response of splenocytes in mice.
Hosoi Y, Ishii K, Yamada S, Ono T, Sakamoto K
Department of Radiology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai,
Japan.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9436245&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

Radiat Res 1996 Nov;146(5):582-5
Decreased incidence of thymic lymphoma in AKR mice as a result of
chronic, fractionated
low-dose total-body X irradiation.
Ishii K, Hosoi Y, Yamada S, Ono T, Sakamoto K
Department of Radiology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai,
Japan.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=8896586&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

There are dozens more. Review especially tumor-injection studies.

The only people who don't know that LDR is bio-positive (perhaps even
more so to infections than cancer) are those who WON'T consider the
evidence (and esp. those who manipulate the data for self-serving
intent).  What about the Gerber et al abstract etc sent a few weeks ago?

Regards, Jim