Re: Basis for Reg. Guide 1.86 limits?

There was a good review of the basis for surface contamination limits in
Decontamination and Decommissioning, Proceedings of the 19th Midyear Symposium of
the HPS.  The limits were indirectly tied to MPC values, but were a compromise
between what appeared to be safe and what was practical given existing technology
(1974).

The reference is Residual surface contamination limits: Problems in
interpretation and implementation, R. A. Wynveen, H. J. Moe, M. J. Robinet, and
V. R. Veluri, 1986

Jjblute1@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know what the original basis for the contamination limits in Reg.
> Guide 1.86 was?  Some possibilities...
>
> Dose Based?
> Detectability?
> Old Military, DOE, or DOD Standard?
>
> I would love a reference that discusses this but would be glad to hear
> qualified opinions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Blute
> Health Physicist
begin:vcard
n:Alvarez, Ph.D., CHP;Joseph L.
tel;fax:865-675-3677
tel;work:865-675-3669
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Auxier & Associates, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:jalvarez@auxier.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;9821 Cogdill Rd.=0D=0ASuite 1=0D=0A;Knoxville;TN;37932;
fn:Joe Alvarez
end:vcard