Re: The FEAR is Our own worst enemy. (Re)

----- Original Message -----
From: Al Tschaeche <antatnsu@pacbell.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: The FEAR is Our own worst enemy. (Re)

> It is impossible to demonstrate something has no risk.

Because . . .  (?) few (if any) objects or activities have no risk.

> So what?  Should we shiver in our boots with fear that they might occur?
Why,
> only in the nuclear industry, does such fear happen. (Yes, I have read
"Nuclear
> Fear".) I don't see it in other industries.  Certainly not in flying where
> whole plane load of people died and similar planes were not immediately
> grounded, even after 21 were found with problems similar to those of the
doomed
> plane.  When the engines came off the DC10s, planes were grounded.  Why
not
> now?  Is the air industry different from ours?  If so, how, except that it
is
> more dangerous.

The cover story is that those who fly in planes assume the risk voluntarily.
No mention is made of those who regularly are killed on the ground.  The
reality is that, emotionally, most people think airplanes are cool.  I have
since I first saw one.  Even people who are deathly afraid of them fly on
them and don't live in underground houses to protect themselves from falling
airplanes, although they demand that nuclear power plants be built to
withstand falling airplanes.

> Somehow we must expunge this idea from human thinking.  Experience is what
> counts not phobic fear.  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

Hear, Hear!!!  But how? how? is the question.

Don Kosloff mailto:dkosloff@ncweb.com
2910 Main St, Perry OH 44081