Re: Residents Angry After Nuke Release -Reply

Mike --

NRC regs require that some sort of
emergency information be transmitted to
residents within approximately 10 miles of
commercial nuclear plants on an annual
basis, but do not specify the means to be
used to inform the public ... and the means
vary from utility to utility and site to site.

I can only speak for the plants with which
we work ... the Southern Nuclear facilities
(Hatch, Vogtle, Farley). Each of these
plants use tone-alert radios as the primary
means of public notification ... Vogtle also
has full siren coverage, and Farley has
"some" siren coverage in Alabama. When
people move into the 10-mile EPZ, they
normally establish electric service, and
when they do, somebody from the utility
hand-delivers a tone alert radio and a
calendar to them ... and also give them the
opportunity to provide information on
"special needs".

The utility mails calendars to each
residence and business within the 10-mile
EPZ on an annual basis. State and local
offsite officials are given the opportunity to
review and comment on the contents of
the calendar info prior to publication.

Jim  Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Mike Mokrzycki
<mjm@stripedbass.com> 02/17/00 11:11

How often is that material disseminated?
Is a system in place to ensure
that the materials are given to people who
move into an EPZ sometime
after the plant has started operating? (I
suppose I'll find this out as
next month I'll be moving to a town just
inside the Seabrook EPZ.) If
there is such a system, is it standardized
in NRC regs or might it vary
site by site? Is it the responsibility of the
utility or local
officials?

Mike Mokrzycki
private citizen, who currently lives about 13
miles from Indian Point
(and a journalist, as some may recall from
my posts a year or so ago,
although I pose this question out of my
own curiousity, not for work)