Re: Residents Angry After Nuke Release

NUREG 0654
Criteria for Preparation and Evaluation of Radiological Emergency
Response Plans and Preparedess in Support of Nuclear Power Plants

pg 49:

G. Public Education and Information
Planning Standard

Information is made available to the public on a periodic basis on how
they will be notified and what their initial actions should be in an
emergency (e.g., listening to a local broadcast station and remaining
indoors), the principal points of contact with the news media for
dissemination of information during an emergency (including the physical
location or locations) are established in advance, and procedures for
coordinated dissemination of information to the public are established.

Evaluation Criteria

1. Each organization shall provide a coordinated periodic (at least
annually) dissemination of information to the public regarding how they
will be notified and what their actions should be in an emergency. This
information shall include, but not necessarily be limited to:

a. educational information on radiation;
b. contact for additional information;
c. protective measures, e.g., evacuation routes and relocation centers,
sheltering, respiratory protection, radioprotective drugs; and
d. special needs of the handicapped.

Means for accomplishing this dissemination may include, but are not
necessarily limited to: information in the telephone book; periodic
information in utility bills; posting in public areas; and publications
distributed on an annual basis.

<note- the above is applicable to licensee, state, and local E-plans>

Richard Sumrall
HP Instructor (soon to be Emergency Planner : ))
Grand Gulf Nuclear Station
rsumral@entergy.com

not review or approved my employer, etc.