Re: Risk estimate and comparison

Pills and people killed:

I think that there is a principle difference between effects that are
irreversible (like DNA mutations) and other cellular events. Therefore we
can not compare the effects on an equal basis. Take alcohol in yoghurt for
instance - add up the ethanol molecules consumed by people eating yoghurt
for 300 years and you will probably have buckets of ethanol. Now consume
this at once and observe the effects...
This is very different from the 1 to say 7 (depending on the type of cell
and biological context) irreversible mutational events (each one dependent
on one distinct event on a molecular level) that may trigger and convert a
normal cell to become a tumor cell. I know that this still is a biological
simplification for many tumors that go through a successive progression with
immunological mechanisms and other events that may counteract the tumor
proliferation. But for some cases, like with the eye tumor retinoblastoma,
one single event like a chromosomal break due to say an alkylation reaction
or an ionization is enough and you get the tumor.

My personal opinion (that probably is shared with most molecular biologists
in the field),

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com