Re: Risk estimate and comparison

Frank R. Borger - SeniorSupport Engineer, Gammex RMI
fborger@gammex.com phn 608-828-7289 fax 608-828-7500

"If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, C++ gives you enough
rope to bind an gag the neighborhood, rig the sails on a small ship,
and still have enough rope to hang yourself from the yardarm
-The UNIX-Hater's Handbook

>>> "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com> March 20, 2000 14:43 >>>
>Pills and people killed:
>
>But for some cases, like with the eye tumor retinoblastoma,
>one single event like a chromosomal break due to say an alkylation reaction
>or an ionization is enough and you get the tumor.

Ok, but explain why a retinoblastoma is such a rare tumor. If repair mechanisms don't
work for this tumor, why isn't it very prevalent?

I'm coming from a background of 30 years in radiotherapy, and still wonder why the
exceedingly high doses in radiotherapy don't give every patient Cancer.