Hiroshima fallout

[Pardon the reposting.  I was bitten by the email "From" bug.  GAC]

I don't presently have the information or have taken the time to assess the
health impact from fallout at Hiroshima.  I continue to question your
statements (your wish?) that "there was not any" fallout (perhaps, this is a
settled question?) and "it's obvious . . . fallout . . . did not play any
role in carcinogenesis among the A-bomb survivors."

The Sep 1996 HPJ article concludes, "The results were in good agreement with
estimations from the early external radiation measurement."  But, a cursory
reading of the text finds the following statements:  "[T]he number of samples
are not enough to estimate the rainfall area over the whole city, but the
Cs-137 deposition should be closely related to the rain fall area. . . .
These results indicate that the rainfall area was wider than Uda's map and
verifies Masuda's map. . . . These results reflect the fact that Cs-137 was
not uniformly deposited even in the rainfall area. . . ."

_From the excerpts I provided, it is clear (assuming the HPJ is a credible
source) that there was fallout at Hiroshima, but it's not at all obvious that
fallout "did not play any role in carcinogenesis among the A-bomb survivors,"
especially since the 1996 HPJ article (the only article I have presently
available) presented only Cs-137 sampling results and exposure estimates and
did not even discuss cancer or cancer risk.  And, given that you originally
claimed "not any" fallout, I wonder whether the obviousness you perceive is
based on fact or what you wish fact were.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
glennacarlson@aol.com

> Subj:  RE: background vs man-made emmissions - fallout
>  Date:    4/30/2000 3:37:33 PM Central Daylight Time
>  From:    frantaj@aecl.ca (Franta, Jaroslav)>
>
>  Glenn,
>
>  I presume that you have noticed the difference in wording between the quote
>  in your initial posting on this thread ( "High levels of residual
radiation"
>  etc. )  and those you cite below ( "Out of 22 samples, 137Cs was detected
>  for 11 samples", "Some of the rock and roof tile samples...had a small but
>  detectable amount of 137Cs activity", "levels of 90Sr
>  > contamination were too low to allow a discussion of the exposure risks."
>  > ).
>  >
>  ....everything we eat and drink and are made of has "small but detectable"
>  amounts of radioactivity, including K-40, C-14, U, Th, Po-210, Ra, etc.
>
>  >    The message from Norman & Karen Cohen[SMTP:norco@bellatlantic.net]
>  > which was posted on Saturday
>  >  April 29, 2000 8:11 PM was about "what long-term doses of radiation does
>  > in the form of latent cancers."
>  ..its obvious from your most recent information that whatever trace amounts
>  of fallout may have been detected did not play any role in carcinogenesis
>  among the A-bomb survivors. Seems to me you've answered your own question ?
>
>  Jaro

Ninoshima