Re: background vs man-made emmissions[sic] Thread -Questions for Cohen

My replies below ----

RadiumProj@cs.com wrote:

> I would like to see Norman Cohen's thoughts having studied history at the
> graduate level and psychology as he notes about the issue of whether nation's
> have ever gone to war over energy supply or are likely to do so in the
> future? Does he see this as part of the health and safety impact of any given
> fuel cycle?
> -------- Our peace group opposed the Iraq War, which was basically a war for
> oil. So yes

we are likely to go to war again over oil and yes its a health/safety impact.
So's the DU ammo used in that and the Kossovo wars.--------

> Does he see any relationship between the US defending its' own and other
> nations'  [like Japan] uninterupted supply of oil and our actions in the
> Middle East where we sent a few thousand Marines into Beiruit [where several
> hundred died in an attack], and hundreds of thousands to protect Saudi Arabia
> [and our?? oil] all at huge economic and human costs?
> ------- Yes, its all related --------

> Does he feel any concern that millions of people starved to death in  Africa
> in the late 1970s to 1980s because oil prices skyrocketed due to the excess
> demand by Western industrialized nations [who could have developed nuclear
> energy to displace many used for oil in their economies] and this priced
> poorer nations out of the market for oil to use in agriculture for fertilizer
> and to power machinery like tractors to grow food?  Should these kinds of
> legitimate impacts on the health of millions due to energy supply allocation
> issues be considered by environmental activist groups are are can they be
> accused of being dishonest with their supposed concern for the health and
> safety of others?
> ------ Its called environmental justice. Yes---------

> I am not asking these questions rhetorically. I would greatly appreciate
> hearing from Norman Cohen to understand why issues like those raised above
> are ignored by activist groups like STAR who focus only on making some
> largely specious claims, about minute radiation exposures from one
> contributor to the overall radiation exposure of the population, based upon
> some very poor science?

------- Wow, all that to beat up on STAR. I think the more pertinent point is
that either we come up with international solutions to energy use and production
or this planet will be in for more wars and famine ---------

norm

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);