Re: Unplug Salem, etc.

This is way off the radiation topics, so briefly: To kill phragmite (bad plants) and replace them with spartina (good plants) that supposedly makes better wetland fish habitats, one must repeatedly herbicide and burn the marshes. This is not good for the marsh, and has basically made the marsh into a mix of phragmite, a little spartina, and lots of mud.

Cooling towers would reduce fishkills by 95%, and are required by the Clean Water Act, section 316(b). According to the NJ DEP's Versar Report, a little under one billion mature fish
are killed each year. Add to that billions of other marine organisms. Fish on the kill list include weakfish, bay anchovy, sturgeon. You can check the website of the Delaware Riverkeeper
Network (sorry url not at immediate hand) or Clean Ocean Action for details.

norm

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);  norco@bellatlantic.net;  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http://members.bellatlantic.net/~norco/  ICQ# 54268619; The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
“We have two lives, the one we’re given, and the other one we make” (Mary Chapin Carpenter)
“Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights...Get up, stand up, don’t give up the fight!” (Bob Marley)