Wind and nuclear sound

You are correct. You could hear this wind turbine very clearly in the
area "near" it (near being within several [or more] miles).

The wind blows here (Benicia, CA) ALL the time (or so it seems). This
was a two blade design with the generator at the top of turnable
tower. I heard that it was 20 megawatts. How big was it? From the
road (I-680) I would see this strange "fence." Using binoculars I
discovered that this "fence" was actually power/telephone poles.

As I understand the blade speed was limited to no more than 18.5 rpm
because at higher speeds the tips of the blades would have traveling
at greater than the speed of sound and would have damaged the unit
had this happened.

By the way, radioactive effluent releases are not the only way that
your neighborhood nuclear power plants can make itself unwelcome. It
can also be a noisy neighbor. Once I was eating dinner at a friends
house across the Indian River from the St. Lucie plant (near Ft.
Pierce Florida). Our host said that on nights when the wind was just
right he could hear the plant page (public address system) VERY
clearly. He asked me "who is this guy HP they keep calling for over
and over - day and night - don't you every give him a day off?" I was
rather reluctant to tell him.

Just a few weeks later we had a deputy sheriff show up at the plant
gate at about 1 AM and told me to "turn off that public address
system you'll have - its disturbing your neighbors."  Through the
security gate I told him it was a system important to our safety and
plant safety. I asked him what would happen if it stayed on (the "Or
what?" question). He responded that if it stayed on "I'll have to
arrest someone."  The fix? Until 7 AM every time someone used the
page there was a page announcement asking that people not use the
paging system. I'm not sure we got the concept.  The officer never
returned. Since the Shift Supervisor would have sent me to the gate
again, I was just as glad that he never came back.

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>