Subject: radiation is radiation? lochbaum
Author:  Norman & Karen Cohen <norco@bellatlantic.net> at Internet
Date:    5/8/00 4:54 PM

And guys and gals, I have to confess as well that, despite all of your best
intentions and explanations, I still don't get it either.

norm

DaveL wrote:

>  I really don't understand the "radiation is radiation" argument. I think it
is
> based in the original intent of the radiation measuring unit (rem, standing
for
> roentgen equivalent man). Rem was supposed to allow apples to apples
> comparisions of exposures to alpha, beta, gamma, and neutrons. If Person X was
> exposed to one hour of alpha radiation and Person Y was exposed to one hour of
> gamma radiation and the radiation intensities were exactly the same, these
> people would have different rem exposures because alpha and gamma affect the
> human body differently. So, from that standpoint, one rem of alpha radiation
is
> the same as one rem of gamma radiation. But to reduce the issue of radiation
> health down to three words, "radiation is radiation," is summed up by these
> three words, "crazy is crazy."

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);
norco@bellatlantic.net;  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/
COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~norco/
ICQ# 54268619; The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
"We have two lives, the one we're given, and the other one we make" (Mary Chapin
Carpenter)
"Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights...Get up, stand up, don't give up
the
fight!" (Bob Marley)