Re: Dr. Rosalie's Latest Crusade/References

>"...the area of the health effects of ionizing radiation, especially
>at low doses and slow dose rates, for the past 30 years and have >produced
>and published books and professional papers on the subject."

I read the five peer-reviewed articles by Dr. Bertell I was aware of in
1986/87. One was about the dangers of compter screens/monitors - published
in Environmental Health Review (March 1982:3-5). According to my opinion
that was a mess of wave theory. If I recall correctly, and as so many other
times there were subjective (no solid science language) statements like "the
force of a wave can best be understood by the ocean shore" (I am in Cherry
Hill, New Jersey and don't have access to the files I have at home in
Sweden).

Another one was a mathematical paper in Journal of Medicine - a Canadian
publication (relevant journal?). My memory tells me that a large fraction
(order of more than 25% - may be half) of two years' of publications I went
through were by the editorial board themselves. One publication about
radiation was published in a journal for tumor surgery (again: relevant?)
and then there were a few arguments about her work - may be in Health
Physics around 1980 (???).

There are 24 pages of references in the book "No Immediate Danger" but most
of them while serve to bring you out of focus and lose concentration:

First a number of articles are referred to several times - in some cases as
many as four times (an example is a reference to C.J. Johnson (1984) and the
Nevada fallout). Second some references are unnecessary: 24 references are
given to the Chelyabinsk/Kyshtym catastrophe (in 1957) but since most of
them (22 references) are found in Zhores Medvedev's book - it would have
been quite enough to only refer to Medvedev. Bertell spends nine pages on
writing down ("copying with distortions") material that all is found in
Medvedev's book - to my opinion her contribution to the description of the
disaster in Ural is zero.

Other references are questionable - from the Toronto Star, local newspapers
in Colorado, a native American Chief from around 1850, a speech by the Pope,
Catholic New Times, or the article "You are what you eat" from Mother Jones
Magazine in 1981 (I still wonder who the authors were of many of the
articles in the local newspapers - how would I know what it really is? Maybe
just small "reader's feedback" by people like RB?). Some references are not
direct and one must therefore go back 3-4 generations of the references to
find the source (which I did in a few cases).
Among the references are also her own testimonies to U.S. authorities.

I summarize all this as unnecessary reference dilution = a long list that
makes it hard and inefficient to get to any facts.

The OKLO phenomenon is referred to as being in "South Africa" and to have
occurred 1700 years ago... (all that about nuclear waste and the number of
zeroes can be difficult).

Any person who is into nuclear & radiation (especially those at ICRP, IAEA
etc) seem to be seen as little generals who like making atomic bombs. The
language is suggestive - decay is like little canons shooting bullets around
etc.

This book was probably the basis for Dr. Bertell's alternative Nobel Prize
in 1986 (1987?). She was basically presented as an expert in a number of
Swedish newspapers (full pages).

The bomb testings in the fifties are blamed for the overweight of Americans
(it is the iodine "connection" - I wonder if she was ever in the Deep South
- there are quite a few overweight people there but not much of nuclear bomb
atoms flying around in the area to my knowledge).

Aterosclerosis and coronary heart diseases are also caused by anything
"nuclear" (well radiation).

If I misunderstood anything or didn't describe it correctly I am willing to
modify my statements but remember that I have a good stack of documentation
to go back to.

Sorry if this was too long - it all reflects my personal opinion late at
night.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/