Re: Mislabeling

Martin_Sandel@fpl.com wrote:

> To Neon: Most Excellent Reply!
>       I'm just a RPT. at a plant in Florida! The majority of my
> friends and neighbors have nothing to do with the industry and
> don't know LNT from pocket LINT.   All they know is what they
> see at the movies (classics like 'Silkwood' and 'China Syndrome')
> or what they see on the news. So, it seems to be like Neon
> stated, the only information that the general public gets on the
> Nuclear Industry (my neighbors included, unless I,m at hand to
> explain something to the best of my simple ability) comes from
> the 'Squeaky Wheel'!
>    Wouldn't it be possible for people in the 'Industry' to do things
> like set up 'Pro-Nuke' informational Web sites? Comparing,
> for example, things like the quantity of carcinogens discharged
> into the atmosphere from a 'Fossil Fuel Plant' as from a 'Nuclear
> Plant'?  Or set up traveling 'Visitors Centers' (like most Nuke plants
> have at their sites) to go around to various community groups and
> schools to educate folks at the basic level!
>    Starting to take  the 'Pro-Nuke' initiative at the grassroots level
> seems like a very good idea.

Pro-nuke facts and the science hasn't worked.  People don't give a
rat's a** about truth - they work purely on emotion and feelings.
And they LOVE a good scandal. That's why movie stars have any
influence at all.  Plus considering that most people are woefully
uneducated, fact is the wrong way to go.  Like a lawyer I consult to
says, "the truth gets checked along with your coat and hat at the
court house door".  Same things applies in politics.

The play on emotion and feelings is the key.  The mass media is
right now stirring up hysteria over power shortages and blackouts.
A perfect opportunity to portray the other side as the bad guys.
Are you old enough to remember that devastating ad Johnson used
against Goldwater?  Consisted of little more than a montage end with
a girl smelling a daisy laid over the explosion of an atomic bomb.
Pure, stark emotion but it killed him.  Other possibilities include
graphical comparisons of cost (perhaps a guy periodically sticking a
penny into a power meter with an atom attached vs feeding a dollar
bill into a meter attached to a dirty, sooty hunk of coal.  Yeah, I
know, not factually correct to journal standards but it would work.
Or show a fuel pellet just sitting there with a voice-over saying
"this is what nuclear fuel does to light a light bulb.  Then show a
flaming hunk of bituminous coal and the same voice-over.  A
variation could be a cooling tower emitting nothing on the nuclear
side while the coal plant cooling tower billows smoke.  Yeah, I know
that nothing but water vapor comes out of either but the public
thinks differently so why not exploit that ignorance in our favor?

Hey, I'm neither terribly artistically creative nor have I spent
more than a couple of minutes here but I've come up with this much.
Think what a gifted pro-nuclear screenwriter could come up with?

What? Who me?  Nah, I'm retired!

John

--
John De Armond