Re: RADSAFE digest 3303

> I wonder just what would constitute "scientific evidence". Suppose, for
> example, that a person received a small radiation exposure (<10 rem) at
> their work, and years later developed cancer. Since radiogenic cancer is
> generally  indistinguishable from other cancers how could radiation etiology
> be either proved or disproved?

Regarding the above quote- I recall a New England Chapter Annual Meeting maybe 6 years ago where one of
the speakers (perhaps from MIT) presented results of research involving analysis of DNA damage from tumor
cells induced by exposure to ionizing radiation and from tumor cells induced by exposure to another carcinogen.
There was a distinct "fingerprint" to the DNA from each of the tumor cells, and the two were clearly different from
each other.  The conclusion was that it might be possible to use the technique to determine what agent actually
caused a cancer, or to at least rule out certain agents.  I remember thinking at the time that this would be a real
breakthrough in determining causation, and that we would probably hear a lot more about in the future.  In reality,
I never heard anything more about it.  Hopefully my memory is accurate- If anyone else remembers this speaker,
let me know.  I think there was another speaker from MIT (Jacquelyn Yanch?) speaking about BNCT at the same
meeting, if that helps jog anyone's memory.

Regards,

John R. Laferriere, CHP
DuPont Pharmaceuticals Co.
Medical Imaging Division