Re: Re the new radon spa in Hungary:

At 15:07 07.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>A "Radio Prague" item states:
>
>And finally - the PRAGUE POST has the latest in health and beauty treatment.

Sorry, you did not communicate, where this is situated, not, what the
concentrations of radon-222 are, no further information about the "cure"
details. The name of the place you referred to sure is not Hungarian! This
would not be the first spa - unfortunately we have one in Austria - Bad
Gastein. You do not give any information what are the by-products offered
to the sick and elderly. I do not deny positive effects of persons going to
these spas in Austria, there is excellent coverage of all kind of physical
medicine like massage, electromedical stimulation, swimming in warm water
and most important of all - a leisurely atmosphere without stress. I
suppose that the last component can work wonders....

I cannot help - please forgive me - to wonder, why you question such
positive effects, you are usually the one who fiercly promotes the positive
effects of radiation. I simply refuse to comment on the LNT anymore - it
cannot be verified and it cannot be abandoned. It is a working hypotheses
and as that it has been forwarded.

Isn't a leisurely atmosphere a confounding factor? Isn't massage a
confounding factor? So, come on, is the visit to such a spa something
negative or positive, does it prove the LNT or does it only show the
discrepency between some theories?

We have a saying in German "If it does not help, at least it will not harm."

Do you agree?

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458