Regulatory structures in Great Britain and Europe?

Hi,

I'm helping to edit a document - and one of the appendices is planned to
give a brief overview of the regulatory structures specifically for
radioactive material in medical use in various countries around the world.
I have North America sorted out, but would like some help from radsafers
especially those in Europe and Great Britain.   What is the name of your
national regulatory agency?  What is the role of the European Commission and
the EURATOM treaty? Are all member countries legally bound to to harmonize
their radiation protection regulations with other neighbouring nations or
can they establish standards which may differ significantly?  What role do
the Basic Safety Standards play?

Thanks in advance for any info you send me.  To avoid cluttering Radsafe,
oplease e-mail me privately: kgordon@hsc.mb.ca

Thank you

Karin Gordon RTR, RTNM, RTT
Radiation Safety Coordinator