Re: Regulatory structures in Great Britain and Europe?

Dear Karin,

a) A research was carried out in Europe in the period 1996-1999 by the
NATIONAL RADIOLOGICAL PROTECTION BOARD (NRPB, by John Stather.  There is a
publication about this research “Radiation protection research in
Europe 1996-1999”. I do not  have  such document, however you can get it. I
suggest you to contact the NRPB Information Service at
information@nrpb.org.uk

b) I sent to you private e-mail two pdf files from the OECD-NUCLEAR ENERGY
AGENCY (NEA)

(i) NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE AND REGULATORY ACTIVITIES-1
(ii) NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE AND REGULATORY ACTIVITIES-2

Both dealing with legislation, Laws. Decrees, Amendment of the Decrees on
Radiation Safety, in several countries, not only european, many of them
dealing
with medical purposes, your main interest;

c) The complete text in english of the Revised Basic Safety Standards
Directive Euratom 96/29 you can obtain at

Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
http://www.environment.detr.gov.uk/ras/safety/

d) Take a look also in the Council Directive 97/43
in relation to medical exposure. This directive suplements Directive 96/29
(you can select this document in 10 different european languages)
http://europa.eu,int/eur-lex/en/lif/dat/1997en_397L0043.html

d) A paper on the subject is: "The Euratom Basic Safety Standards - Aims and
Scope"
Stephen Kaiser, EC, DG XI/C/1 and Augustin Janssens, EC, DG XI/C/1,
UK Nuclear Free Local Authorities annual conference in Caernarfon, Wales, on
http://www.n-base.org.uk/public/euratom.htm

e) The Royal Society of Edinburgh
Basic Safety Standards Directive Euratom 96/29
http://www.ma.hw.ac.uk/RSE/govt_responses/safstand.htm

f) La directive 96/29/Euratom du 13 mai 1996
Radioprotection médicale - Informations (text in french)

http://www.uvp5.univ-paris5.fr/RADIO/Info/dir9629t.asp#TITREI (Comoplete
http://www.uvp5.univ-paris5.fr/RADIO/Info/dir9629.asp

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il