irritated

Franz Schoenhofer wrote...

"Anybody entering an existing group cannot claim, that the whole group (in
the RADSAFE case several thousand people) has to respect only him or her
(Norman or Edith) and to consider whatever nonsense (yes: I write
"nonsense", because the Tooth Fairy Project is nothing else) they
distribute as the ultimate truth...How to discuss with such people? Whatever
is said goes
from the left ear in the right ear out and vice versa, without staying in
the brain. Your pledge for respect of intelligence is totally
misdirected... it would be better to advise people like Norm and Edith, to
observe certain rules, when it comes
to such a big group of scientists like RADSAFE is. Until now I did not
observe any will to accept anything that RADSAFErs told them as being
correct."

Franz has missed the point entirely.  I am NOT saying that we need to accept
as truth whatever is put forth.  What I am saying is that disagreement does
not give us (any of us) the right to so rudely attack the person(s) putting
forth the opinion.  I have noted that this has been far too common on this
listserv, and am calling us to a higher standard as professionals to be
respectful of each other as human beings.

Certainly, as scientists, we are charged with the responsibility for doing
good science and for correcting error.   We health physicists should,
indeed, endeavor to raise public understanding about radiation/radiation
effects/radiation protection and so on.  But we cannot do so with an
attitude of "I'm right and you're stupid, and have no right to voice your
opinion.  Go away!"   If this is the attitude we put forth, is it surprising
that what we say is not taken seriously.  The lack of respect we show toward
others will be mirrored back to us.  This is the point.

So, Franz and others, if you wish to attack me personally for this, go right
ahead.  But consider this as well, we are not just about science, we are
also about ethics.

Judith deChamplain, MPS
Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
University of Kansas