RE: Anti's, posting, and small SNM quantities

I enjoy reading selected RADSAFE threads, when I have the time. I don't
actually participate much because my job requires my attention more hours of
the day than I have. Many of us work in the public arena all the time, and
we hear all kinds of opinions about radiation safety, most contrary to real
science. Most of those contrary opinions, but certainly not all, are based
on sincere, though misguided "facts". I want to know what they're up to, and
I enjoy reading them and the responses that are well thought out by many of
you who are much better and smarter than I am. While the occasional arrogant
with the less educated, I still enjoy reading them. But mostly I enjoy and
value the reasoned responses to these people. I hope no one seriously
considers kicking the "antis" off.

We also often have to deal with "contrary" opinions that are fully and
clearly intentioned to stir up people and get headlines. One such group at
Hanford is Heart of America Northwest, lead by a lawyer who loves publicity,
and who, when faced by factual data and proof, simply smiles and follows his
own agenda anyway. The discussions I read on RADSAFE really help me deal
with this kind of thing, mostly by seeing what works and what doesn't. What
doesn't work is the arrogance. What does help counter allegations made by
such groups is reasoned explanations, not to the group making the
allegations, but to the media, in language with little jargon, and in a tone
and manner empathetic to the unknowledgeable, but sincere worried public.
The bottom line is, though, that the general public is scared of this stuff,
and will remain so.

A case in point was the recent range fire at Hanford. DOE declared an ALERT,
and by procedure, we, in the state, mobilized. While the fire never became a
full blown radiation emergency, we had to respond and collect samples as if
it was. The level of our efforts would normally be saved for at least a Site
Area Emergency, but due to public concern, fired in part by the "antis", of
the potential for airborne contamination from surface contaminated areas
onsite, we were in an "emergency" mode all the way. We've had to explain why
quick samples taken during an "emergency" can't be compared to background
ambient samples, why the presence of radionuclides in those samples don't
necessarily mean they're from Hanford, why there's a lot of K-40 in a fire
that has nothing to do with Hanford, why plutonium air concentrations two
orders of magnitude over background still don't represent a public health
threat, etc. etc. We've had to counter many allegations made by activists,
but we've done fairly well, thanks in large part to lessons learned from
many of you and people like you. I've learned from some wonderful people out
there, like Ron Kathren, and many others. I want to keep hearing from people
like that on RADSAFE about what the antis are alleging. No censorship,
please.

Allen W. Conklin,Manager
Air Emissions & Defense Waste Section
Bldg 5 7171 Cleanwater St.
Department of Health
Olympia, WA 98504
phone: (360) 236-3261 fax: (360) 236-2256 pager: (360) 786-2975

"This message may be confidential. If you received it by mistake, please
notify the sender and delete the message. All messages to and from the
Department of Health may be disclosed to the public."