Re: The UCS study on Nuclear Plant Risk Studies

> The risk assessments assume nuclear plants always conform with safety
> requirements, yet each year more than a thousand violations are
> reported.
>
>  <JSD comment>:  This is an apparent reference to Licensee Event Reports,
>  many of which have no relationship to safety issues.  The number of LERs
>  submitted per plant per year has been dropping steadily.  The 1996 NRC
>  Annual Report (the most recent historical table I was able to find in a
>  brief search) shows a decrease from 26 LERs per plant in 1987 to 12 LERs
>  per plant in 1996. <End JSD comment>

I found the reference cited in the UCS report, NUREG-1272, Vol. 11, No. 1.,
Table 5.1, "Number of LERs Submitted by Year".  In 1997 the number of LERs
per plant went up to 14 per plant.  Excluded from the counts were canceled,
proprietary, voluntary, and safeguards LERs.  Also, on the same page was
Table 5.2, "Percentage of LERs Submitted in CY 1997 by 10 CFR 50.73
Requirement."

                                                           Percent
Total percent will be
Requirement                                     of LERs           >100
because of
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""        LERS with
multiple
Tech Spec shutdown or violation      52                  requirements and

rounding.
Unanalyzed condition                         28

Engineered Safety Feature               14      <DCK comment: For most
actuation (includes scrams)                           of these the equipment

worked or failed safe
Real/potential safety system loss      10

Failures in multiple systems                 2

External threat                                      <1

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@email.msn.com
Contractor, ex-NRC Resident Inspector, ex-anti-nuke
2910 Main Street
Perry, OH 44081