Re: Draft FDA Guidance document on the use of KI

Mike -

Seems to me, after poring over the draft guidance in some detail, that the "FDA scientists" and "experts in the field from NIH" should have supplemented their expertise with some nuclear engineering expertise as well. A little emergency management knowledge wouldn't have hurt either ...

Just my $0.02 worth ... as as always, my employer will, I'm sure, disavow any knowledge (or understanding) of my comments.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> mlantz33@cybertrails.com 1/4/2001 19:48:11 >>>
Mr Whitman (and the FDA) needs to understand that KI does not block the thyroid from
absorbing iodine forever.  If most of the thyroid cancers were from milk ingested
seven days (for example) after a person took KI because of a release of activity,
then KI will do nothing to "block" that milk-related iodine, unless the FDA will now
prescribe it as a daily supplement.

I have listened to representatives of both the FDA and the WHO.  They seem sorely in
need of health physics guidance.

Michael Lantz, CHP