RE: Laundered PPE Acceptance Criteria

Dennis,

We (Y-12) are a DOE facility.  We use 10,000 beta-gamma and 10,000 alpha
when monitoring our anti-C clothing (cloth goods);  50,000 dpm beta-gamma
and 50,000 alpha when monitoring our rubber shoes.  As you know, there isn't
much, if any, dose from alpha external to the body - beta-gamma should be
the deciding factor because of the potential dose consequences.  We have a
couple of Technical Basis Documents;  one justifying using 20,000 on cloth
goods (we stuck with 10,000) and the other justifying using 50,000 for our
rubber shoes - both are based on potential dose consequences.  Why the
RADCON manual set the TRU (alpha) limit at 1000 is beyond me, the
contamination is fixed after laundering - it isn't an inhalation or
ingestion hazard.  Don't know what kind of throughput you would have setting
a laundry monitor at 1000 alpha;  it couldn't be good.

Randy Redmond
BWXT Y-12 L.L.C.
Y-12 National Security Complex
Radiological Control Organization