Re: In Flight Radiation / Analytical thinking about risks

>The tradeoff was: you are at greater risk of lung cancer in the smoking
section (rear) but at greater risk of death in a crash in the front part of
the plane (non-smoking).  So what is the probability of a plane crash v.
getting lung cancer?  As we got more and more into this, we noticed people
edging away from us and frowning, probably thinking "What kind of nut cases
are on this plane?"
---
We are probably many here on Radsafers who run into these types of tradeoff
discussions professionally (and we do find them intellectually challenging
and interesting). Many among the broader general public OTOH don't
understand this level of discussion which obviously is about smart decision
making. Often we can't answer these questions but as a first step we at
least recognize them as issues for consideration.

A lot of people just think that consideration of "A risks vs. B risks" is
all silly and continue to drive without safety belts, smoking etc - they
never got used to thinking in terms of statistics, facts etc. They have a
balance between the emotional and brain cortex (maybe less developed
analytical thinking - the fact storage function may still be there with lots
of facts about supermodels, ice hockey results and other data of low
importance for public health) sides of their minds that often is skewed
towards the emotional and which blocks the cortex function ("we shall have
no uncontrolled atoms flying around - period").

A strange side is that some people may be very rational at work but still
seem isolated from certain kinds of logic or analysis. I know a lady who is
very organized in the kitchen and easily can handle alone a lunches and
dinners day after day for 60 people - doing everything efficiently - knows
exactly where things are and has a built in timer about everything - but she
also smokes heavily (hypothesis: "Smoking makes you organized...").

One day while taking a cigarette she looks at me and says "smoking can't be
dangerous - what do you think?" (she had heard that I am involved in cancer
research - she is out in the countryside far away from any academic
institutions). I don't remember the details of the lecture I gave but it was
probably a brief comment like "try to cut down on the smoking - it is good
for you" but I asked myself: "What is the problem here? How can anyone avoid
all the information about smoking and health hazards?". Part of the answer
is of course that we have different sources of information - another part is
probably about selective intake & perception of information. I have met
people who say that they never read any newspaper article that contains
numbers (I doubt that this is true for certain sports), "strange units" or
graphs & diagrams.

My personal ideas and reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cdervall/