Re: GEOLOGISTS LEARNING URANIUM CONTAINMENT FROM NATURE

Susan,

    You are absolutely right! As a mattrer of fact, the principle you

suggest provided the basis for a proposed method of HLW disposal ( see:

Cohen, JJ, AE Lewis, and RL Braun, "In-situ Incorporation of  Nuclear Waste

in Deep Molten Silicate Rock", NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY, 13:76, April, 1972). The

idea was to place HLW in a deep underground cavity, allow the decay heat to

melt the surrounding rock, which ,in turn, dissolved the waste. Eventually,

as the rate of decay heat output subsided and was exceeded by the rate of

conductve heat loss, the entire system would solidify in place. Of course.

the heat would also assure no groundwater could contact the waste.

    Unfortunately, although the idea would have worked , it was rejected

because it conjured up visions of volcanos ,etc. As I'm sure you are already

aware, science has never place a significant role in our waste management

policy.             Jerry