Re: I need contacts for Inst.

Mark,

More information is required.

How big is the floor?

How long has the radium been there?

Has the floor been resurfaced since the material was there?

Has the floor been painted?

What is the floor made of?

How much radium do you anticipate?

If you are using the large area gas flow proportional probes (239-1F) you

will need P-10 counting gas.  I would recommend a suspension mechanism for

the probes (like a floor monitor).

Is the structure occupied?

Do you observe a radon buildup in the structure?

The MCA and NaI will only be of use if there is sufficient activity and may

cause confusion rather than allow for release.

The 2221 is a good instument but there are better for dealing with this

situation because the 2221 requires two counts and a voltage change to count

for alpha and beta.

The alpha emissions are easily masked and both alpha and beta emissions from

the surface should be measured.

Be sure to clean the surface (remove all probe destroying debris) before

using the large area probes.

Tom O'Dou

tom_dixie@msn.com