No Subject

by imo-m10.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v30.10.) id a.e3.13ec780e (4318);

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:40:22 EDT

Subject: Re: Established, mainstream, orthodox, and august organizations

To: Gerald.Falo@apg.amedd.army.mil, radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

boundary="part1_e3.13ec780e.281b4f56_boundary"

Sender: owner-radsafe@"list.vanderbilt.edu"

--part1_e3.13ec780e.281b4f56_boundary

Peer-reviewed publication used to be the "gold standard" for science, and as

far as I am concerned it's the best standard we have.  Not that it's always

great -- there is occasional stuff in the journals I subscribe to that is

pure  nonsense -- but it's all there is.  That and one's own scientific

knowledge.  And when I hear that stuff about "you can't trust stuff that the

government paid for" I just tell the person "too bad.  I can't help what you

will or won't trust."  There is no effective counter to the argument "I

don't

trust -- or believe..."  i think the "trust" question is mostly a smoke

screen and last-ditch stand for people who strongly suspect that they

themselves are wrong.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

ruthweiner@aol.com