Nuclear Waste, Science, & Politics

On the planet where I live, good political solutions are those that gain public acceptance. This is true regardless of  scientific merit, economic effect, or actual (as opposed to perceived) impact on health and safety. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the public is scientifically ignorant. IMHO, politicians, bureaucrats, and contractors working on nuclear waste have shamelessly exploited this ignorance to advance their own self interests. As I previously suggested, if organizations such as Greenpeace, and Friends or the Earth did not exist, the DoE and EPA would have had to invent them.
With the exception of transmutation and space disposal, any of the multitude of waste management schemes that have been proposed should  have been acceptable from a public health standpoint. Even the ridiculously expensive Yucca Mtn. Project would be OK. However, the billions of dollars made available for studying the problem provide a strong disincentive for reaching a solution. Nobody wants to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
I am sorry if these views seem skeptical, but I really believe they accurately characterize the current situation. For whatever it's worth, if health, safety, and economics were the primary concerns, ocean disposal is still the best solution ( see Bernie Cohen's paper in Nuclear Technology 17:163-172). On the other hand, if we need a solution that is absolutely perfect in every way, I guess we will just have to keep on looking. At least, as long as the money continues to roll in.