Re: tritium exit signs - not

Looking at the events, what appears to be a root cause is the ineffectiveness
of the General License program.  It's no secret that orphaned sources are a
problem.  Many of the instruments/articles are provided to institutions who
do not have a regulatory savvy person to ensure the intent of the GL is
maintained.  This results in lost or disposed of licensed material.

I received an EXIT sign some time ago.  The package included excerpts from
10CFR20.  This was ~1999.  I felt it was appropriate to notify the specific
license who was distributing the signs that 10CFR20 had changed some time
ago.   Here is a specific license who isn't up on regulatory changes (only
off by about 6 years); they probably hadn't been inspected in some time or
the inspection process didn't work; and recipients who don't know regulations.

Just my opinions...

Matt Williamson
Cabrera Services, Inc.
Hackensack, NJ