UK Regulations

Greetings all,

I apologize for those of you who have seen this posting a few days ago on

MEDPHYS, but I got no answer from anyone on that list (over 2,000 physicists).

I have a question for those of you in the UK who are familiar with current

radiation safety regulations. On February 26 I sent a posting to RADSAFE

about a radioactive mineral I had measured. To briefly recap, in February,

the Natural History museum in South Kensington, London, was fined for

allowing members of the public to be exposed without cautionary information

to emanations from radioactive minerals in its collection. Subsequent to

this, I was involved by a major international auction house in measuring and

preparing for shipment a small piece of the mineral novacekite which was sold

for $90,000 to a British collector. I now have a short paper on this

interesting project in press at the Operational Radiation Safety supplement

to Health Physics and I'll tell you when it's scheduled for publication if

you request that information.

My immediate question relates to a new assignment: to help design an exhibit

case which will allow the collector to show this little rock in his home. I

would like someone familiar with UK regulations to tell me what dose standard

to use in designing the display case. Is there an hourly dose rate limit

applicable to the case's surface, against which someone could press their

nose while gazing in rapt attention to the object? Is there a limit at some

fixed distance, like, say,1 meter? Is it simply a matter of restricting the

annual dose to some value like 1 mSv, making assumptions about viewing time

and distance?  Well, you get the idea. You may reply to me personally since

the majority of the list probably doesn't need this information.  And be kind

to me if you think that the answer is obvious. Remember that Wolf Seelentag

and I, foreigners both, were Prof. Boag's last two Ph.D. students so we still

have a bit of a British soul. Besides, I was a Capital Radio DJ which means

I'm still "in tune with London."

Thanks for your help.

Rob Barish

robbarish@aol.com

PS If you didn't look at a picture of this little rock at the time of my

posting on 26 Feb, you can go to:

http://www.sothebys.com/liveauctions/sneak/_popups/ah_mineral5_1200_popup.html

PPS Jack Boag turned 90 last week and has my most heartfelt best wishes for

many more happy healthy years.