Re: Radiation & Miss Ty Cism

Radsafers & Anti-nukers,:

Ok, so the thread's a little old now but, I still wish to throw down the

challenge glove to those who really want a GAME on creating on a better

future for planet Earth with respect to global energy management policies.

I personnally and professionally regard the positions and viewpoints of

anti-nuclear activists to be contrary to broad areas of planetary survival

(not simply humanoid) relative to the carte-blanche disagreements with the

use of nuclear power as a major component of base-load energy production in

the overall global energy needs of the planet.  Since the primary argument

seems to be about the irresponsibility of the industry and it's professionals

and the exposure of Joe Earthling to ionizing radiation, I offer the

following game.  The game is, fundamentally, to develop or describe a plan

where-by anti-nukes could do away with the generation of sources of ionizing

radiation including all those nuclear plants around the globe.

OK.  Here's a few of the parameters for this game:

The game must have some practical solutions to real problems of everyday

survival. By "survival" I don't mean having to wear bear skins and use stone

knives.  Suvival here means that you don't squash the creative thrust of

mankind to survive at higher levels and standards.  Also, no "Glib"

handlings.  For example, one solution for the parking problem at the Pentagon

is to park on the moon.  While this may be one option the government might

grant funds to study,  that type of problem solving is not permitted here.

No wand-waving, ok?

To increase the necessity level on planning for this transition, let's say

Joe Earthling has a very big problem coming that only anti-nukes can solve

because the all the pro-nukes or Anti-Antinukes are out near Alpha-Centauri

by now in their fission powered ships.  Joe Earthling needs to launch a space

vehicle or probe to handle an asteroid that should be pushed out of an

intersecting orbital convergence with Earth eight years hence.  The ground

rules are that you can use anything to accomplish this except something that

will result in the exposure of anyone on the planet to ionizing radiation.

That also means you can't use any explosives in space, nuclear or

conventional, since the sources for these contain radioactive material.

You have to do something here, not just whine about all the Nuke Plants and

all the radioactive material they leave lying about and the radiation they

spew out on the general populace. So. Listed below are a few of the things

that I think will be needed to do this.  I'm sure others will have more

precise needs or thoughts about it and they can add to it later. So. Just

consider this a thumbnail sketch.

We need a launch platform to be fully operational four years hence. Let's

build it in Germany, apparently they don't mind platforms and such, so let's

just go ahead and build it there in the middle of the proposed windmill farm.

 One more won't make a difference and they can put a ships mast on it or

something later.

You have to describe how to do all this from scratch, otherwise, there's no

game here.  Using ONLY renewable energy resources and WITHOUT creating ANY

condition in which additional radiation exposure above background levels

would result to anything or anybody on the planet, describe how this can be

done.

I have inserted particular reminders with some of these to ensure that no

additional radioactive materials are disturbed and that no additional

radiation exposures result.

Baseload Power Supply Resource (Wind Mills) Construction Phase

We need a power supply for all this first.  Before we have the supply, we

have to create the mechanisms by which this is obtained.  Either a generator

or a collector of some sort.  Let's say windmills are the solution here and

will be the primary source for all our motive force needs.  Let's build 'em.

Start.

Sources of steel for structural support:

Describe where you will obtain the steel.  Most likely it should be salvaged

only from existing structures.  Recall - NO radioactive materials, therefore,

no mining, milling, or smelting (TENORM, NORM…).

Getting the steel to the smelter:

Describe how the steel will be moved to the smelter or blacksmith shop or

where-ever for steel girder/structural member support extrusion.  No hauling

the stuff around using petroleum fired internal combustion engines

(petro-chem industry - TENORM, NORM…).

Steel girder/structural member extrusion

Describe to me how you will solve the power supply problem for the smelter.

I allow that the smelter already exists.  You don't have to build that.  But.

 You may not power it from conventional sources.  This must be powered by a

renewable energy source, I will even allow microwave power conveyance from

some source - it's not "ionizing" radiation (but the birds won't understand

that...).  Recall that ionizing radiation, your most commonly voiced

complaint is common in conventional baseload energy production sources,

including natural gas.  So.  Nix that.  Smelter must be powered from solar

panels or windmills or some source that does not somehow result in additional

radioactive materials being exposed (no geothermal - too much TENORM…). So.

Maybe you have to go build a big solar panel array first or use a tidal

generator, make a bunch of fuel cells or something.  Just don't make use of a

source using materials the creation of which results in additional radiation

exposure for anyone in it's manufacture.

Source of windmill support foundations

Describe where you will get some concrete that is free of radioactive

material and how it could be produced without creating any NORM or TENORM

problems at all.  After failing to do that, then tell me how you could use a

polymer of some sort (plastic) without using a petroleum like source (NORM,

TENORM).  OK, well, maybe try simply using untreated wood since a lot of the

treatments are petroleum based.  Maybe that will work - for a little while…

Installation of foundations

Describe the process by which millions of tons of sedimentary materials will

be displaced for foundations without the disruption of any naturally

occurring radioactive materials in the sediment. (NORM)

Erection of towers.

Describe to me how the towers will be erected without the use of petroleum

based internal combustion engines.  (NORM, TENORM)  You are permitted to use

alcohol fuels, but not from crops grown using commercial fertilizers. (NORM,

TENORM)

We can also just nix the quality assurance program on structural engineering.

 Most of involves a little radiography here and there and we know that's bad

right?  Anyway.  You can't use any form of radiography anywhere in any of

this project, including the construction of the actual space probe, which,

incidentally, may have absolutely no radioactive materials aboard.  Oh yeah.

No using any form of radioactive materials during any welding either…

Power transmission lines

Describe to me the source for the production of such materials. Recall you

may not utilize materials the creation of which results in additional

radiation exposure.  Therefore, nix any mining or milling for copper or

aluminum.  Also, you have to find another source for your insulation

materials.  (no petroleum based products, no neoprene, no plastics)  I

suppose you could use plain old-fashioned rubber from the trees but you might

have a conductivity/resistance problem…

Energy storage and capacitor discharge mechanisms

New problem. Please describe how you would maintain a consistent,

steady-state baseload power supply for project needs, including the fridge,

stove, hot water heater, furnace, a/c etc. (no gas...)  Remember, we have a

schedule to keep and an asteroid to deflect with non-nuclear,

non-conventional means.  If it hits, we'll have lots more NORM to contend

with along with a messed-up nuclear plant.

Cite the origin of all those batteries, capacitors, and in what type of

structure are you going to keep them maintained.  I'll let you off with the

manufacture of these by conventional methods.  I want to know how you will

mock all this up to supply the project with power needs upon demand.  You'll

need a good-sized building (more construction sans concrete) and a fair

amount of connectivity (no materials mined or milled mind you).

I think we're done with some of the big chunks of the power supply problem.

Now.  Onto the launch platform.  Well.  Perhaps we can save that for the next

milestone update.  I think this will keep you occupied for a couple

half-lives…

So far here, I'm thinking that the resources necessary to do away with

Nuclear Power generation options because of all the radioactive materials

involved, would most likely result in the generation of a whole lot of

radioactive material being required to do that.  Hmmm.

Opinions are mine and are not necessarily those of my cohorts.  I've simply

reached the end-phenomenon of what I regard as an evil purpose and intention

and a whole lot of stupidity that's going to keep mankind in the muck if we

allow it to go unaddressed.  There are many solutions awaiting our

technological arrival at some plateau.  Windmills are a Quixotic (grin)

solution although, I think the old ones I see in the fields ARE very

picturesque.

Neil Keeney

RRPT

Neilkeeney@aol.com