Re: Hydrogen Production Due to Radiolytic Decomposition of Water

Rob,

As I hadn't thought about this before, (other than the requirements to add

H2 to the primary circuit of a PWR to reduce O2 concentration present due to

the decomposition of water) I decided to see what I could find on the net.

The following is an abstract from a document that summarises the DOE

research undertaken on flammable gas generation in 1998.

"Parameters which are experimentally established include: test duration,

drum void volume, initial and final GGTC (Gas Generation Test Canister) void

space hydrogen concentration, and pressure and temperature of the system.

(Schierloh 1998) The mathematical models used for the calculations are

detailed in two reports Gas Generation Testing -- Interim Technical Report

for FY 96 (Schierloh 1996) and Mathematical Modeling of the Build-up of

Hydrogen in Radiolytic Drums (Schierloh 1995).

Calculations are also performed in Schierloh (1998) to determine the number

of hydrogen molecules generated in a material per 100 eV ionizing radiation

released. The value is referred to as the Geffective of a material. It is

statistically determined by dividing the number of molecules of hydrogen

generated in a drum by the amount of decay heat energy released in the drum.

Note that historically, the G(H2) value of a material and decay type is

defined as the number of hydrogen molecules generated in a material per 100

eV ionizing radiation absorbed in the target material. In the work performed

by Schierloh and others in the GGTP and MDP the G value calculated uses the

total decay heat and does not attempt to determine an absolute G value for

the material type by accounting for unabsorbed energy. The resulting G value

is an effective G value."

The full document can be found at

http://www.ntp.doe.gov/newsitems/eburtp017.html

While it doesn't in itself hold the answers to your question it may point

you in the right direction e.g Schierloh 1998

Regards

    Julian Ginniver