Von: julian ginniver <julian.ginniver@lineone.net>

An: Marco Caceci <mcaceci@radal.com>

Cc: Radsafe <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Montag, 30. Juli 2001 23:49

Betreff: Re: clearance thresholds

>Hi Marco,

>    I am assuming from your note that the readers of the waste management

>magazine will mostly be based in Spain.  As such they should be subject to

>Spanish laws which have been adopted/implemented to comply with the

>(European Union) Council Directive 96/29/Euratom of 13 May 1996.  Under

this

>directive all member states of the European union were required to put in

>place national legislation to comply with the above directive, usually

known

>(in the UK) as the revised basic safety standards directive.

I paid a (private) visit to CIEMAT in Madrid about a month ago and it was

confirmed to me, that it has not yet been possible to officially and legally

binding implement the directive 29/96 into national law in Spain. (I am

"happy" because then Austria is not the only country which has not.....)

>From what I know about other countries the question of clearance levels is

all but "clear" and sure not uniform throughout the European Union. A great

chance for harmonisation in this very important field has been missed, as

well as for legislation on natural radioactivity.

Franz