Dateline article on TMI

To: Dateline@NBC.com

Re: Your Dateline docudrama about TMI

Fair and balanced... NOT!  Pure scare! Why are you writing this story and
telling only the scary part? I worked for Catalytic, the company doing the
completion of construction on Unit 2 at the time of the accident.  I was the
Corporate Health Physicist in Philadelphia at that time. Some of my HP crew
was on the site. Some of what you say is true, especially the lack of
communication.  What you didn't say about the results of the accident and the
actions that followed it need to be said just as loudly.

Based on the final analysis of the accident and the results of the release
and effects of the cleanup of the site, it seems that the safety systems
worked.  The releases were minimal --  truly minimal. So, what is the purpose
of retelling only the accident scenario when the lessons learned are the rest
of the story.  Is it political?  I fear so.

Here is a suggestion.  Write up the scenario of the accident in Chelyabinsk
in the Urals in 1957.  That one is a real eye-opener.  I worked on that one
too!

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee