Re: NRC website restored (somewhat)

" ....that taking down the NRC Web site after the events of September 11

was a reaction to the

perceived danger.  If the terrorists wanted to find and attack a nuclear

...."

-----------------

Extracted from email by John Jacobus

John, I'm sorry if you feel that your comment was misinterpreted and if

you feel that the joshing rejoinders were ludicrous. They were. They

were intended to be ludicrous. That is the whole point - as you said

above the action by NRC "...was a reaction to perceived danger ..."

which is another expression for fear. So here is one of the significant

agencies of the federal government responding rather out of fear with

behavior which does nothing to mitigate any reasons for fear. Moreover,

that behavior promoted expansion the very fears that the President and

others were urging that we not exhibit.

Your question did surprise me and I failed to grasp your dry humor -

which usually I would enjoy thoroughly. The difficulty is that

apparently NRC employees WERE fearful or presumably they would not have

taken the site down and the redacted materials would have been restored

by now. To the best of my knowledge, they are still missing. The Vice

President has said that our way of life in the United States is now

permanently changed.  The Secy of Defense has said that we may conduct

some operations in Afghanistan which will "never" (Rumsfeld's words) be

revealed to the American public. That is not dry humor - that, from a

high official in the United States, is scary and is resented.

Nationally, government representatives are responding to terrorism

exactly as the terrorists would wish. I am sorry to see these events

unfold in this manner. John, we have no disagreement. I just hope the

national leadership will "wake up" and catch up with us.

Hopefully, it goes without saying (but maybe not) - that this little

tempest is not merely about a dinky web site being removed from public

access;  the problem is the totality of such actions and thought

processes in high levels of government which are only signalled by this

little example. I find it unsettling.

Maury Siskel                      maury@webtexas.com

Help your government get a grip!

Here is a web site which will provide great command over

this whole communication process with not only elected officials, but

also with appropriate media outlets for letters (emails) to editors, and

so on:

             http://capwiz.com/townhall/dbq/officials/