Subj:   Rad Worker Layoff??

Date:   Tue, 30 Oct 2001 3:20:12 PM Eastern Standard Time

From:   "Goff, Tom" <gofft@WIPP.CARLSBAD.NM.US>

To:   "'radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu'" <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

CC:   "Kump, Dave" <Kumpd@WIPP.CARLSBAD.NM.US>

    Does anyone know of a precedent for disposition of radiological

workers because they can't wear TLDs due to therapeutic radioisotope

administration?  The issue being the high background from the patient's body

will increase the background dose to their TLD invalidating the occupational

dose determined by the TLD. I believe the SOP for most facilities is to

maintain the person's employment, but only outside of radiological areas

until the medical isotope is no longer a problem.

    If the individual can't be monitored then they can't work in a rad

area and therefore can't do their job.  Can they be laid off?

Tom Goff