Re: Rad Worker Layoff??

> My understanding is that ANI "recommends"

> not one, but TWO dosimeters, one by a NVLAP certified dosimetry

> services provider, for anyone expected to receive 100 mrem in a

> calendar year (2% of the legal limit), and that

> meticulously-maintained records be kept until 30 years beyond license

> termination of every dosimeter reading and every entry into an RCA.

> Why?  To prove that monitoring was not required and dose records were

> not required to be kept for those individuals.

The actual requirements are:

1. All records of exposure shall be maintained Life of License + 10 years (not Life of

plant + 10 years).

2. There shall be 2 dosimeters worn (each must be an approved NVLAP accredited

dosimeter. Ideally they will each use different technology. As Jerre Forbes has stated

so often, if 2 unique and totally different technologies derive the statistically

equivalent dose, then a jury will have a better acceptance of the data being

presented in a litigation case.

3. The dosimetry's primary purpose is not to prove that monitoring wasn't required.

The purpose is to adequately monitor, capture and report what any dose assessment

resulted in.  It is significantly more difficult to prove a null, a negative, a non-entity. I'd

rather have a large dose anytime, where the statistics are good.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net