RE: survey meter question (and free training)

Peter,

We conduct WMD courses and exercises for the U.S. Department of Justice

Office for Domestic Preparedness (DOJ ODP) and U.S. Department of Energy

National Nuclear Security Administration. We train emergency responders, and

the target audience includes: HazMat Techs, Fire departments, Law

Enforcement, Emergency Medical Technicians, Emergency Management Personnel,

Department of Defense units, Civil Support Teams, Public Works Managers, and

other emergency response personnel.

40 GL. Compared to many other meters, the FH40GL is easy to use, is small

and lightweight, has large digits on the LCD, has 4 large buttons, and has

counter/scaler modes as well as rate meter modes. They are water-proof,

rugged, and easy to decontaminate. They are also easy to use while wearing

PPE. The FH 40 GL is an excellent general purpose meter with about 20

different probes available. The FH 40 GL is not the cheapest meter, but has

a lot of capability for responders. The FH 40 GL uses "smart probes" so that

the meter recognizes the probe and adjusts the alarm levels, display

settings, etc to match the probe.  For example, when you remove the gamma

plastic scintillator probe (NBR probe) and attach the contamination probe

(FHZ 732), the display changes from uR/hr (with gamma symbol) to cpm (with

the alpha, beta, and gamma symbols displayed).  The user can set up the

meter to show or Sv/hr, Gy/hr, R/hr, cpm, cps.  No button presses or toggle

switch changes are needed when a probe is changed.

As a gamma-ray detector for the HazMat team, I suggest looking into the

Thermo Eberline FH40GL NBR (Natural Background Reduction) detector. This

sensor is extremely sensitive. It is the simplist-to-operate gamma meter

that I have seen that can distinguish man-made gamma sources from natural

gamma emitters. It gives a Red light / Green Light answer in a couple of

seconds.  Red Light means "Man-made" radioactive source (Ba-133, Cs-137,

Pu-239, U-238, U-235, etc), and Green Light means Natural radioactive

material. No user interaction (or button presses) are required  It can

detect (and classify) 3uR/hr of Cs-137 in fluctuating natural backgrounds

(of about 12 uR/hr).  The HazMat Techs we teach really like this instrument.

A second detector (gas proportional) inside the meter measures the gamma

dose rates of 1 uR/hr up to 10 R/hr, giving you low range and high range

sensitivity in the same instrument. Both sensors are constantly measured

simultaneously, so if you move into a higher dose rate area with the NBR

attached, the internal detector will cause an audio and visual "dose rate

alarm."  Very high range (up to 1000 R/hr) probes are also available, giving

you  1 uR/hr to 1000 R/hr capability at the same time.

Talk to:

Thea Philliou

Portables Product Manager

Thermo Eberline

504 Airport Rd.

Santa Fe, NM 87507

Tel.505-428-3527

Fax.505-428-3535

Email:  tphilliou@thermoeberline.com

Website:  www.thermoeberline.com

You can also buy contamination probes that can detect alpha-beta-gamma for

the same FH 40 GL meter.  These meters are the easiest to use that I have

seen.  TThe FHZ732 (gas proportional pancake) contamination probe can

changed between measuring alpha radiation or alpha-beta-gamma with a couple

button presses.  A ZnS 100 cm2 Alpha/Alpha-Beta-Gamma probes are available

as well.

By the way, in our courses we also use radiation instrumentation from:

Aloka, Automess, Bicron, CDV (Victoreen, Landry, Lionel), Eberline, Ludlum,

NE Technology, SAIC, Sensor Technology, and others.

Note: the mention of a specific manufacturer's product does imply an

endorsement of that product by Bechtel Nevada, the U.S Department of Energy,

or the U.S. Department of Justice.

For more information about the Department of Justice ODP and its training

programs, go to

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/ta/training.htm

or call the DOJ ODP helpline at 1-800-368-6498.

The WMD courses currently being taught by the National Center for Exercise

Excellence (NCEE) through March 2002 are:

Weapons of Mass Destruction Radiological/Nuclear Responder Operations Course

(Dec 10-13, Feb 11-14, Mar 4-7),

Weapons of Mass Destruction Radiological/Nuclear Course for Hazardous

Materials Technicians (Nov 12-15, Dec 17-20 Jan 7-10, Feb 4-7),

WMD Exercise Development (Part I) (Train-the-trainer at the local

responders' city)

WMD Practical Exercise (Part II)  (Conducting exercises at the NCEE)

These courses above are free of charge to emergency responder personnel.

The costs are covered by

the Department of Justice ODP for responders with prior approval by their

state's DOJ State Administrative Agency. Call the DOJ ODP helpline at

1-800-368-6498 for information on the State Administrative Agency for your

state.

Other courses that are available, but not sponsored by the Department of

Justice are:

WMD Radiological/Nuclear Civil Support Team (CST) Operations

WMD Chemical Biological Radiological Responder Operations

WMD Incident Command Operations

For more information on any of the above courses, feel free to contact me

at:

Rick Hansen

Bechtel Nevada

U.S. Department of Energy/NNSA

Counterterrorism Operations Support Senior Scientist

(tel) 702-295-7813

hansenrg@nv.doe.gov