Re: A Nuclear Nightmare: It Could Happen Today

Hi Susan,

There is no need to question qualifications, realism, and so on. The greatest

nightmare is that I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the other

room, flip the switch, and get complete dark! The speed of which, by the way,

exceeds the speed of light!  Seriously, the article sets up a straw man and

then beats it to death. The writer posed a question, wanting an answer for

publication. Ambassador Graham had limited choices- he could indicate a

refusal to comment,  he could say he did not know, he could claim some

knowledgeable information, or he could guess. He openly guessed. He even

guessed numerical probabilities and risks (furnishing no quantitative bases

for these guesses). Then the writer subsequently refers to the guesses as an

analysis. What gibberish. Could his guess become a reality? Of course it

could. So what - we can conjure up all kinds of possible/probable disasters

and describe them as vividly as one wishes. All depends on what one wishes to

daydream about. Never mind, we might all die tonight. Sorta' reminds me of the

George Carlin hippy-dippy weatherman routine about the line of thunderstorms

.... (g)

Cheers,

Maury Siskel  maury@webtexas.com

PS Thanks for posting reference to the article - I did enjoy the speculations.

These folks can come up with some duzies.